It’s getting dark so quickly in winter. I miss the sunlight, partly because lacking the light makes me feel a bit sad and hard to take good photos as well, especially when my tripod is broken and the new one is still in store, until boxing day I guess…Anyway, moving on to the recipe. Eggplants have always been giving me trouble. Most of my previous attempts have failed and they ended up not fully cooked, or I have to use a lot of cooking oil. But this time it finally worked with steaming!
1. Three eggplants
2. One red pepper and one green pepper (they are just for the color)
3. Two tbsp of soy bean paste, four tbsp of water, 2 tsp olive oil
4. Some minced beef (optional)
1. Chop the peppers, cut the end off the eggplants and slice them into sticks.
2. Now get your steamer and steam the eggplant sticks for 25 to 30 minutes. In the meantime, we are going to work on the sauce. Get a frying pan and turn on medium heat. Add the olive oil. Once it’s hot enough, add the soy bean paste and water. Gently stir until it becomes a bit sticky. If you’d like to try the one with ground beef, just cook it in the pan before working on the sauce.
3. Set aside the sauce. Turn off the heat and use the remaining heat of the pan to cook the pepper chops a bit.
4. Last step, build up this eggplant salad 😉 Be careful! Hot steam coming out of the steamer!