I like green onion cakes but I hate the ones from restaurants and stores. They are just sooo overly greasy. If you are like me you may want to try this recipe at home. It contains relatively less fat since it doesn’t need any deep-frying. You can pair them with grilled chicken and a salad. We followed this recipe: 手抓葱油饼.
Ingredient A for the dough: 300g All Purpose Flour, 140ml water that is a little warmer than body temperature, 1 tbsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt
Ingredient B: 4 or 5 green onions, 3 tbsp cooking oil or olive oil, salt, pepper, pepper corn power to taste (I suggest 1/4 tsp of each for 1 green onion cake)
1. Put everything in Ingredient A to the bread machine, set it to make dough. Wait for the process to complete, it will take about 1 and half hour. If you don’t have a bread machine, you’ll have to knead the dough until it looks smooth and then cover and let it sit for about 50 minutes . It will be sticky at first but keep kneading it’ll be OK. The dough looks like this when ready:
3. Take one smaller dough, roll it to a thin flat dough. It is the best to roll it into a rectangular shape but I am no chef. That is simply too hard for me! Any shape should be fine for this green onion cake.4. Sprinkle some table salt, ground black pepper, pepper corn powder to taste onto the dough, and then brush on some oil to cover the surface evenly.5. Sprinkle on some chopped green onions
6. Fold two edges to the centre like so, then lighly brush on some oil on the surface
8. Fold one more time, no need to brush on oil this time
9. Wrap the dough along one side to make it look like this, then cover and let it sit for 30 minutes. Do the same for the other three small doughs.10. Roll the wrapped dough to a flat pancake again, be careful and gentle when rolling it out because some oil may leak and splash you otherwise!
11. Put a non-stick pan over medium-low heat, no need to grease the pan. Carefully put the pancake in and try to keep its shape as much as possible. Cook for 1 minute and then turn to cook the other side, wait 1 minute and turn again, repeat until both sides are golden brown.
If you are serving guests then you can cut the pancake to shares to make them look nicer. However the authentic way is to rip them apart by hand and grab any piece you want. Only by eating this way you can truly enjoy the crunchy outer layers and the soft inner layers of the green onion cake.