Sometimes I just crave for this spicy dish I had back in China. Unfortunately, local “Original Sichuan Spicy Food” is a joke. So I tried a few times to make it myself and this is the first time I get it right by following this recipe 辣子鸡.
- 4 boneless chicken drumsticks
- 10 dry red Sichuan peppers, 15 Sichuan peppercorns, 1 star anise, 1 green onion
- 1/2 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1.5 tbsp sugar
- cooking oil (depending on how big your pan is; see below)
- cooked sesame seeds
- Dice the chicken to the size of your thumb nail.
- Cut each red pepper into 3 pieces with almost equal length(don’t touch your eyes after this!)
- Now heat (use medium heat) about 1/2 inch of cooking oil in a pan so it is deep enough to fry the chicken dices.
- Add 1/3 of the chicken dices to the pan. Fry them until well browned. Get them out and repeat for the rest 2/3.
- Pour out 1/2 of cooking oil out of the pan, then add all ingredients mentioned in item 2 above. Stir for 20 seconds.
- Add the chicken dices back in together with the salt, soy sauce and sugar. Stir for another minute.
- Add the sesame seeds. Done
Serve hot and immediately.
Best part? Finding one last piece of chicken among the peppers!