This week we got some lean ground beef left in our fridge, a small apple and some mushrooms. They were just perfect for making mini meat pies. You can eat with any dipping sauce you want. We prefer just ketchup. They are great to pair with some salad or a veggie soup. The Chinese version: 烤肉饼
1. Main Ingredients:
- Ground beef: 400 g
- Eggs : 2
- Mushroom: 5 or 6
- Carrot: 1
- Onion: 1/4
- Green Onion: 1
- Garlic: 4 cloves
- Ginger: 2 slices
- Cooking wine 15 ml
- Soy sauce 30 ml
- Cornstarch 1/2 tbsp
- Ground black pepper 1/4 tbsp
- Table salt 1/4 tbsp
- Cilantro : 1/4 bunch
- Prep time: about 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 220C/350F for about 20 minutes
- Marinade the beef with the seasoning ingredients in #2, set it aside
- Crack the eggs and add to the bowl with the meat. Chop everything else in Ingredient #1 into small pieces and add to the meat. I used a chopper which makes things super easy. Tip: if you or any of your family members hate ginger, soak the ginger pieces in 15ml hot water, and use the water instead of the chopped ginger.
- Mix everything in the bowl, stir clockwise until they are well mixed. Keep the stirring time under 1 minute, otherwise the beef may taste dry.
- Get a baking sheet, cover it with foil. There is no need to grease the foil. The recipe does not stick. Preheat the oven to 220C/350F.
- Use two spoons to make mini meat pies. Take some mixture with one spoon, use the other spoon to add more or take away some mixture to control the size. There is no rule here other than try to make them all look similar in size. Put them on the baking sheet and gently press the centre with the back of a spoon to make the meat pie flat. This way it is easier to cook thoroughly.
- Put the meat pies in the oven to cook for 18 minutes.
- Take them out, chop the cilantro into pieces with the length of half a thumb and place them on the meat pies for decoration. You can skip this step if you don’t like cilantros. Put them back in the oven to cook for another 2 minutes. Done!