We like stew because you don’t have to do much to make it. All you need is a slow cooker, a bit patience and a good sleep at night. This week I made Oxtail stew and this was the first time I saw my wife ate twice oxtails as she used to. This is one of my happiest moments–my family enjoys the food I cook.
1. Oxtail: 1.2 kg
2. A handful of carrots
3. 4 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, 2 tbsp cooking wine, 2 tbsp cooking oil, 10 rock sugars, hot water
4. 3 dry red peppers, 6 Szchuan peppers (optional), 3 pieces of ginger, 1 bay leaf, 2 star anise, half a cinnamon bar
1. Chop the carrots.
2. Blanch the oxtail. Be sure to add the cooking wine and ginger to the pot.
2. Get a big pan. Add the cooking oil and turn on medium heat. Now let’s melt some rock sugars. Once this is done, we add the oxtails. Stir steadily for about 1 minutes. This step is totally for the color.
3. Get your slow cooker and all in! Now we add hot water (it has to be hot) until all ingredients submerge.
4. OK, set the slow cooker to low heat and let’s wait 7 hours (that’s where the good sleep comes in). Then we move everything to a different pot, set the heat to high and vaporize 2/3 water. As you can see, there is a lot of fat. But once the water is vaporized, we can get rid of most of it.