We accidentally found some frozen quails in Superstore and we had to stop and grab one. We followed this recipe (红烧鹌鹑) and changed a little bit. And yes, it’s OK to get your hands dirty once in a while.
1. 6 quails
2. 3 dry red peppers, 4 to 5 Szchuan peppers (optional), 3 bay leaves, and 1 star anise
3. 3 tbsp cooking oil, 3tbsp soy sauce, 2tbsp cooking wine, 2 tbsp dark soy sauce (for the color) and 15 white rock sugar (the amount depends on your own taste)!
1. Defrozen, clean and blanch the quails.
2. Set the heat to high, add the cooking oil, and wait for 1 minute. Add the quails and stir quickly for 1 minute. Turn heat to medium.
3. Add the cooking wine and stir for 1 minute. Then add the soy sauce and stir for another minute. Now we need the peppers, bay leaves and star anise. Add all.
4. Now we need some water. I would say about 600 ml. High heat until water is boiling. Low heat for another 30 minutes. High heat again to vaporize 2/3 of water. Add the rock sugar and slowly stir until they all melt. Done.