Well well well, this time we found duck necks at the farmer’s market. In Wuhan China,spicy duck neck is a popular dish. Unfortunately we’ve never been there to try it. So we decide to make it ourselves. We followed this recipe 香辣鸭脖子 from 文怡 (we changed a bit and made it less spicy).
1. Duck necks: 3lb
2. 1 Green onion, 1 piece of ginger
3. dry red chili pepper: 25g, Szechuan peppercorn: 25g, 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon stick, and 1 nutmeg
4. soy sauce 3tsp (45ml), dark soy sauce 2tsp (30ml), sugar 5g, salt 5g
1. Clean the duck neck with tab water and chop them into short chunks. Then blanch the chops in boiling water.
2. In the meantime, prepare other ingredients.
3. Add some cooking oil to a pan and turn the heat to high. Wait for a minute and add all the ingredients in step 2. Gently stir for about a minute. Then transfer everything in the pan (well except for the oil) to a pot. Add 1000ml of water to the pot.
4. Then add all the sauce, sugar, salt and duck necks to the pot. Turn the heat to high. Once the water is boiling, turn the heat to medium. Cover the pot with the lid and wait for 30 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and let everything cool down naturally. Done!