Tofu is high in protein and can be a great substitution for meat. Here is a simple yet delicious tofu recipe that you can make at home.
Chinese version of the recipe: 家常煎豆腐
- medium firm/firm tofu (medium firm tastes better in this dish): one box
- salt: 1 tsb
- oil (non-expensive olive oil or vegetable oil): just a little bit to prevent the tofu from sticking to the pan
- soy sauce: 2 tbsp
- sugar: 1 tsb or less
- oyster sauce (optional): 1/2 tsb
- spring onion: 1
- Put tofu in warm water, add salt, wait 10 mins. This will minimize the bean flavour and make the tofu more tasteful.
- cut tofu into pieces in the size that you prefer.
- brush a little bit of oil on the pan, set heat to medium, place tofu pieces onto the pan.
- wait about 5 min until one side is golden brown, then carefully turn each piece around with two spoons, wait 3 minutes
- add soy sauce, about 5 tbs of water, sugar, and oyster sauce to the pan, let it simmer for about 3 minues
- chop up some spring onions (or parsley if you like) and add it to the pan
There you go!